Leon Madsen won the fourth final of TAURON Speedway Euro Championship which was held in Rybnik. The Dane secured his leader position in the interim classification of the series. Tomorrow, the riders competing for the Individual European Championship title will again meet in Gniezno.
Leon Madsen, Robert Lambert, Grigorij Laguta and ‘wild card’ holder Bartosz Zmarzlik were the main actors of the spectacle held in Rybnik today. It’s worth to mention, that after four series of racing, all of them got the same amount of points. What’s more, all of them met in heat 18, where they fought for entering the final heat.
Madsen got the best starting momentum, but Lambert was close behind him. On the first lap, Zmarzlik overtook Lambert, then he did the same with Madsen and finally moved on to the first place. Despite many attack attempts from his rivals, the Pole maintained his position and gained a promotion to the final.
In the first part of the meeting, the track in Rybnik turned out to be challenging even for those, who race there every day. The key to achieving a good result was to be the fastest on the first corner and then escape from the heavy track material, catapulted by riders in the front positions.
Interestingly, Peter Ljung managed really well with such track conditions, in the first part of the competition. Kacper Woryna as the local hero and the current European Champion, Mikkel Michelsen had to fight in each and every race for every single point.
- If I knew what was going on, I would react properly. Unfortunately, I don’t know that. The track is hard, but at the same time it is the same for everyone. My starts are not bad, but I lacked speed on the distance - said Mikkel Michelsen, who did not get promoted to the final heat in this round.
Robert Lambert is another one from the front runners, who didn’t get a promotion to the final heat. The Brit struggled with his bike in the ‘last chance’ heat, but he continued the race and crossed the finish line as the last. The race was won by Nicki Pedersen. Grigorij Laguta also got entered the final.
The first lap turned out crucial in the final heat of this round of TAURON Speedway Euro Championship. Leon Madsen got the best starting momentum. The Dane stopped Bartosz Zmarzlik on the inside line of the first corner and flawlessly he crossed the line as first. Grigorij Laguta took an advantage from the duel between Madsen and Zmarzlik. The Russian rider finished the race on the second place.
Due to his victory in Rybnik, Leon Madsen became the first rider in TAURON SEC’s history, who got three consecutive round wins.
- We are breaking records - Leon Madsen said with a smile after the end of the competition. - It was a great day. Since the morning I felt that it would be a good one. We are completely focused on winning the European Championship title and that is our goal.
Laguta and Bartosz Zmarzlik also stood on the rostrum.
- In the final heat, I messed up the start on my own fault, but I’m still satisfied with my result – said Bartosz Zmarzlik. I felt great on my bike, I was enjoying racing today. Trying to read, where my rivals racing line was enjoyable. We achieved the minimum plan, which was direct promotion to the final heat.
We’d like to remind all speedway fans, that the third round of TAURON SEC will already be held tomorrow in Gniezno. The meeting starts at 7 PM.
1. L. Madsen 16 (2,3,3,3,2,3)
2. G. Laguta 13 (2,3,3,3,0,2)
3. B. Zmarzlik 15 (3,3,2,3,3,1)
4. N. Pedersen 11 (3,1,2,2,3,0)
5. R. Lambert 12 (3,2,3,3,1)
6. D. Bellego 10 (2,1,3,2,2)
7. B. Smektala 8 (3,2,0,0,3)
8. K. Woryna 7 (1,0,2,2,2)
9. M. Michelsen 7 (1,2,1,1,2)
10. P. Ljung 6 (2,3,1,ex,0)
11. V. Milik 5 (0,1,0,1,3)
12. K. Huckenbeck 4 (0,2,1,1,0)
13. M. J. Jensen 4 (1,0,1,1,1)
14. A. Kudryashov 3 (0,0,0,2,1)
15. K. Kasprzak 3 (1,1,0,0,1)
16. T. Lahti 2 (ex,0,2,0,0)
17. S. Logachev 0 (0)