Leon Madsen won the third round of TAURON Speedway Euro Championship 2018, which was held in Daugavpils (Latvia). Thanks to a good result, Dane became the new leader of Individual Speedway European Championship.
It was the very first heat, when fans, who gathered at the venue in Daugavpils, had reasons to get excited from. Andzejs Lebedevs - local favourite, started the meeting with a win. Heat after heat, current Euro Champion got it slightly worse and did not get through to the final heat.
Rivalry in Latvia started great for Madsen, who left Robert Lambert behind his back in his first start of the day. Dane presented some solid racing, which led him to gathering 16 points. After three series of starts, Madsen caught up Hampel in the overall classification and Pole's lack of presence in the final meant that the new leader was about to make his advantage bigger.
- Four-point advantage is not a lot and everything can happen - Madsen said.
Once again, Robert Lambert presented some great racing. Brit got only one point in his first start, but his next two heats ended with wins. Next starts also brought big numbers, which led him straight to the final heat.
After exclusion in the first heat, Emil Sayfutdinov didn't make mistakes. Russian impressed the crowd with speed and effectiveness of his racing. Even after poor starts, he still was able to catch his rivals on the distance.
Jarosław Hampel had some serious issues in the main series. Pole attempted this meeting as the series' leader and started the third round with a solid win. Next series, however, were not this good. In the race-off heat, Hampel for the second time in this meeting, got the engine's failure.
After the main series, Leon Madsen was on the top and right behind him, we had Robert Lambert. Interesting fight electrified the crowd in the race-off heat. In heat no.21 we had Emil Sayfutdinov, Vaclav Milik, Antonio Lindbaeck and Jarosław Hampel facing each other. It was Czech and Russian going through to the final heat.
There, a spectacular duel came up when Emil Sayftudinov faced Robert Lambert. Double European Champion was on the top in this rivalry, but it was Leon Madsen, who crossed the finish line as first.
- It was not an easy meeting. I got many points, but it was hard to do. I'm really satisfied with my performance. I'm one step closer towards gold - Dane added.
Ahead of the final round of TAURON Speedway Euro Championship 2018, which will be held in Chorzów, Leon Madsen leads the classification with a four-point advantage over Jarosław Hampel and five-point over Lambert, who'sthird.
Final round of the Individual Speedway European Championship will be held on 15th of September at the Śląski Stadium in Chorzów.
Heat after heat:
1. A. Lebiediew, A. Jonsson, M. Michelsen, J. Franc
2. V. Milik, P. Kildemand, A. Lindbaeck, K. Kasprzak
3. L. Madsen, A. Kudriaszow, R. Lambert, E. Sajfutdinow (W)
4. J. Hampel, K. Huckenbeck, O. Michaiłow, A. Łoktajew (W)
5. P. Kildemand, E. Sajfutdinow, A. Jonsson, K. Huckenbeck
6. A. Lindbaeck, A. Kudriaszow, M. Michelsen, J. Hampel (D)
7. L. Madsen, K. Kasprzak, A. Łoktajew, J. Franc
8. R. Lambert, V. Milik, O. Michaiłow, A. Lebiediew
9. A. Lindbaeck, L. Madsen, O. Michaiłow, A. Jonsson
10. R. Lambert, A. Łoktajew, M. Michelsen, P. Kildemand
11. E. Sajfutdinow, V. Milik, J. Hampel, J. Franc
12. K. Huckenbeck, A. Lebiediew, A. Kudriaszow, K. Kasprzak
13. J. Hampel, R. Lambert, K. Kasprzak, A. Jonsson (D)
14. M. Michelsen, L. Madsen, V. Milik, K. Huckenbeck
15. A. Kudriaszow, P. Kildemand, J. Franc, O. Michaiłow
16. E. Sajfutdinow, A. Lindbaeck, A. Lebiediew, A. Łoktajew (D)
17. A. Jonsson, V. Milik, A. Łoktajew, A. Kudriaszow
18. E. Sajfutdinow, M. Michelsen, O. Michaiłow, K. Kasprzak (D)
19. R. Lambert, A. Lindbaeck, K. Huckenbeck, J. Franc
20. L. Madsen, J. Hampel, A. Lebiediew, P. Kildemand
21. V. Milik, E. Sajfutdinow, A. Lindbaeck, J. Hampel (D)
22. L. Madsen, E. Sajfutdinow, R. Lambert, V. Milik