TAURON Speedway Euro Championship is coming back to Daugavpils along with Andzejs Lebedevs. Current Individual European Champion started his career in local Lokomotiv club. Since two years, Latvian hasn't had a chance to compete at his home track and as he says, it brings a huge joy to be be back at this venue.
Andzejs Lebedevs is currently the best Latvian rider. While starting in the back room of Polish Ekstraliga, he would get some high heat averages and 2016 was a real breakthrough for him. Back then he averaged 2,370 points per heat. Next season was even better. Lebedevs became the first Latvian to reach for the European Champion title. However, this season, hasn't been this good, but he's far from giving up and will do his best to fight for some good result till the very end.
Meetings in Güstrow and Gniezno weren't so good for you. In both rounds, you got five points in each one and twice, before your fifth heat, you still had a chance to go through to the race-off heat. This time, your bikes didn't cope. What are your reflections after these two rounds?
- It was bad in Gniezno and so far, this season hasn't been one of my best. In Güstrow, however, it was way better, but engine's failure took away my chances for a better score. That's just speedway. You go through ups and downs. I keep working to get points.
We still have two rounds ahead till the end of the series. You have 10 points in the overall classification, losing 10 to both: spot securing starts in the next season and medal position. While thinking about 10 heats, which are about to come - this loss is big or not?
- 10 points is a lot, but I will do my best to end the series in style. I will surely fight till the end.
Third round of TAURON SEC is going to be held in Daugavpils. It's your home track and you know it like no one else. Will it be your advantage? What do you feel ahead of starting in front of your home crowd, starting as the current Euro Champion?
- I feel responsibility for my result. I can't let my fans down. Round in Daugavpils is special for me, because my last time here was 2 years ago. I missed racing in this city.
What's the view on speedway in Latvia? How does it relate to you and how much does this European Champion title mean to Latvians?
- Speedway is a sport, which is popular in Latvia only in Daugavpils and has gained big attention here. In national media, there was information about my success, however everything comes down to this place. I do believe, though, that speedway will become popular all over Latvia. I hope that one of the factors that can help to increase its popularity are my good results.
Final of this year's TAURON SEC is going to be taken at Śląski Stadium in Chorzów, where 40.000 fans should attend the stands. Speedway riders don't have many chances to compete in front such a huge audience. Is it kind of an additional motivation for you or just another meeting to race?
- For me, this is going to be something completely different. I have never started in front such a huge crowd. Plus, this meeting is going to be taken at an artificial track. I really care about getting many points in Chorzów. Hopefully, it will be my lucky day.
Third TAURON Speedway Euro Championship 2018 round will take place on August 18th, 2018 in Daugavpils. The live TV broadcast will be available on Eurosport.
1. Andreas Jonsson #100
2. Mikkel Michelsen #155
3. Josef Franc #444
4. Andzejs Lebedevs #29
5. Peter Kildemand #25
6. Antonio Lindbaeck #85
7. Krzysztof Kasprzak #507
8. Vaclav Milik #225
9. Emil Sajfutdinow #89
10. Andrey Kudryashov #91
11. Leon Madsen #66
12. Robert Lambert #505
13. Kai Huckenbeck #744
14. Jarosław Hampel #33
15. Piotr Pawlicki #777
16. Olegs Mihailovs
17. Jevgenijs Kostigovs
18. Artjoms Trofimovs